Ukrainian  Magyar  English  German  Czech  Russian 
 
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

 
 
 
Other events
 
Interactive map

Subscribe to newsletter

 
Newsletter language: Mandatory
 
 

Volovets district

Abranka | Bilosovytsia | Bukovets´ | Huklyvyi | Kanore | Kotel´nytsia | Latirka | Lazy | Nyzhni Vorota | Pashkivtsi | Perekhresnyi | Pidpolozzia | Roztoka | Scherbovets´ | Skotars´ke | Tyshiv | Verb´iazh | Verkhni Vorota | Verkhnia Hrabivnytsia | Volovets´ | Yalove | Zadil´s´ke | Zavadka | Zbyny | Zhdenieve

Territory: 0,7 ths. km2


Population: 27,1 ths. people


Population density: 54,4 people per 1 km2


Towns: 2


Rural villages: 24



The town “Volovets” is a district center which is situated in a mountain valley of the Vicha river at the foot of the Plai and Temnatyk mountains. The archeological discoveries belong to the millennium II B.C. The first memory about the village is dated back of 1433. The district was established in 1946. There are two versions concerning its origin. The first one explains its name origin from the Volovets river. The second version is a winter place for the cattle from the valley. The overwhelming majority of the district territory is occupied by the mountains and the highest point in the Volovets district is the peak of Stiy, which rises up to 1681 m above sea-level.


In this district there are three rivers that have been playing a significant role in the relief formation. They are the Zhdenivka, Latorytsia and Vicha. In the territory of this district there is a wonderful waterfall “Chortiv Mlin” and the reserve “Potik Osa”. As we can understand from the historical documents European history of Hungarian people began exactly in this district area. In 896 several tribes that were surrounded by the tribe leader Almosh got across the Veretsky pass (over the valley of the Latorytsia-river) to Trans-Carpathian land and Panoniya. Nestor, a chronicles recalls the episode which took place in 898: “to wage war with the Volokhy and Sloviny”. And according to the Anonym’s chronicle in 903 there was a transmigration march or passage of the Hungarians under the leadership of Arpade to the Trans-Carpathian land when they captured the Ung and Vary castles.


At that period the land was called the “res nullis” which means “a no man territory” or “terra indagines” – a buffer zone. Some memories of the wooden architecture are preserved in the region. They are: the Sviatodukhivska church with a bell tower of the XVIII century, the Pokrov (the Protection of the Virgin) Church of 1777, the church of the XVIII century.


At the village of Nyzhni Vorota there is a Mountain Carpathian Research Station which is a leader in scientific research activity. In the Volovets district there is a Veretsky mountain pass, one of the Carpathan Vodorozdilny mountain range passes (838 m high) which is on the border between the Galychyna land and Trans-Carpathian land. The ancient population could maintain contacts by both sides of the Carpathian Mountains through this pass. The mountain range pass served as a gate into the Central Europe for various nomadic formations.


During World War II the Veretsky mountain pass was a part of the reinforced “Arpade Line” constructed by the Hungarian and German troops. By the way, the best jumper of the Ukrainian fauna is found here. That is a quick toad that lives only in the Trans-Carpathian region. It can jump 2 m long and 1 m high. There are several unique reserves in the Volovets territory.

 
 
Webshop

Exchange


 

  
( 2015.04.06.)


 

Customer service

Opening hours:

Mo-Sa: 07.00 - 16.00

Telephone:

e-mail: tourinfo.beregszasz@gmail.com